Wednesday, 4 November 2015

Regulatory bodies

The Press Complaint Commission (PCC) was replaced by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) which is a new self regulatory body for newspaper and magazine industries. They exist to uphold the highest standards of journalism in the UK. They also support members of the public who complain if they believe the Editors' Code of Practice has been breached either in a newspaper or a magazine. The Editors' Code of Practice deals with issues such as invasion of privacy, intrusion, accuracy and harassment. Therefore, IPSO protects individual rights yet helps to maintain freedom of expression for the press.

One of the main aspects of IPSO which I will consider when writing my article in my magazine is invasion of privacy. They believe that everyone is entitled to respect for their private family and home life. This means that using photographs of individuals in private places without their consent is not acceptable. Therefore, if I am creating an article about a person I will respect their privacy and not make any intrusions into the individuals private life unless I have consent. Another thing which I will do is acknowledge the sources. If I use information from someone or somewhere else I will report the source in order to avoid claims of inaccuracy. Harassment is another major aspect of IPSO and they say that journalists must not question, telephone or photograph individuals when they have been asked to stop or remain on their property when they have been asked to leave. This means that when I create my magazine I will ensure that no form of harassment takes place.









No comments:

Post a Comment